Over the past few years, Notion has been creating quite a stir in the productivity world. People are incredibly excited about this tool that offers immense flexibility, customization options, and remarkable power. However, if you've been limiting your use of Notion to personal tasks only, you're overlooking a significant opportunity to generate additional income.
Those who have truly mastered Notion are harnessing its potential to craft various tools such as personal productivity systems, financial trackers, comprehensive to-do lists, and much more. For some, it's a passionate hobby, while for others, it has evolved into a profitable venture through the sale of Notion templates.
In fact, there are two main ways to profit from Notion templates:
- Create and sell Notion templates that you've created
- Sell templates created by others and earn cash through affiliate links
In this blog post, I will be sharing a precise blueprint detailing how to create and sell Notion templates. This exact blueprint enabled me to generate a total of $180,000. If you're interested in learning more, you can find additional information here.
How to start creating Notion templates?
1. Research what Notion template to sell
When it comes to choosing a Notion template to sell, research is both the easiest and most challenging aspect. Start by conducting simple research and examining what's already on the market. Check out reviews and ratings of other Notion templates, and some sellers even share their sales data on platforms like Gumroad.
By observing what's working best for others, you can get a glimpse into potential opportunities for your own template.
2. List down your Notion template ideas
After conducting your research, the next step is to list down your ideas for potential Notion templates. Based on your observations of what's currently on the market, as well as assumptions about what works and what doesn't, it's time to jot down these ideas.
For each new Notion template idea, consider the following questions:
- Has this template already been created by someone else?
- Is there a market for this type of template?
- What price point would potential buyers be willing to pay for it?
- What size should the template be in order to be useful but not overwhelming?
3. Prioritize you listed Notion template ideas
Once you have a list of potential Notion template ideas, the next step is to prioritize them. One effective way to do this is to use the RICE prioritization framework, which can help you identify which ideas are worth pursuing further.
RICE stands for Reach, Impact, Confidence, and Effort. For each of your template ideas, assign a score from 0 to 10 for each of these categories. Reach refers to the number of potential customers for the template, Impact measures how impactful the template will be, Confidence reflects how much you believe in the idea, and Effort indicates how much time and resources it will take to create the template.
Once you've scored all of your ideas, add up the scores and begin with the idea that has the highest total score. This approach will give you the best chance to create and profitably sell Notion templates.
4. Validate your Notion template idea
Okay, you have your template idea. Now it's time to validate it. Let's imagine you're creating the Notion Student Kit- an entire Notion system for students. This would be your final product, but it will take you some time to create it. You still don't know if people will pay money for it.
So instead of creating a full product, create just one template page. For example, instead of a Notion Student Kit, create a Notion Assignment template. This whole MVP shouldn’t take you longer than 1 day.
After you create it, let people know they can get it for free. There are multiple ways how you can do it (I will talk about them in Part 4 of this guide). If your template is doing well and people are showing interest, you can try adding a price, for example $5. If people are still buying, that means you have validated your idea and people want your product.
How to create Notion template?
If you're looking to create your very own Notion template, then this section is for you. Follow these step-by-step instructions to gain a better understanding of the process and ensure that your customers can easily use and navigate your template.
This is a part of my free beginner's guide teaching you how to create and sell Notion templates.
1. Define your Notion template structure
Now that you've validated your Notion template idea, it's time to create the full product. The first step is to define the structure of your template.
Your task is to determine what pages, databases, and relations will be included in your Notion template. This involves planning out the hierarchy of pages and organizing the information in a way that makes sense and is easy for users to navigate.
Consider the needs of your target audience and what they will want to accomplish with your template. This will help guide your decisions around what elements to include and how to structure them.
By defining your Notion template structure upfront, you'll have a solid foundation to build upon and can ensure that your template is well-organized and user-friendly.
2. Create your Notion template wireframes
Now that you've defined the structure of your Notion template, the next step is to create the wireframes. This involves creating the backbone of your template within Notion itself.
Start by creating the pages, databases, and other elements you identified in the structure phase. Connect them together and ensure that they function as intended, keeping in mind the needs and goals of your target audience.
While creating the wireframes, focus on functionality rather than aesthetics. You can always refine the design later on. The goal at this stage is to ensure that your template is easy to use, effective, and meets the needs of your users.
3. Design your Notion template
With your Notion template wireframe in place, it's time to add visual quality and design elements. Take each page and database and begin to add additional value to them.
This can involve adding decorative icons, redesigning database layouts, and incorporating other visual elements that enhance the overall look and feel of your template. The goal here is to make your template visually appealing and user-friendly, while also ensuring that it effectively meets the needs of your target audience.
4. Do your Notion template final checks
Before releasing your Notion template to the public, it's crucial to do some final checks to ensure that it's free of errors and functioning properly. Take the time to go through each page and check for typos, broken links, and other mistakes that may have been overlooked.
Test all of the databases to make sure they're working as intended and that the information is accurate. Check all of the links to make sure they're functioning properly and that users can easily navigate through the template.
Once you've done your final checks and made any necessary adjustments, your Notion template is ready to be released to the public. However, before doing so, it's important to create persuasive visuals and copy to promote your template and attract potential buyers.
I'll dive into the preparation process for promoting and selling your Notion template soon.
How to turn a page into a template in Notion?
Once you've finished creating your Notion template, you'll need to create a duplicate link to share it with others. This link will allow anyone with access to it to duplicate your template and use it as their own.
To create a Notion duplicate link, simply follow these steps:
- Open the template page that you've created in Notion.
- Click on the "Share" button located in the top right corner of the page.
- Toggle on the "Share to web" option, which will generate a unique link for your template.
- Copy the link and save it in your notes or wherever you keep your important information.
When sharing your duplicate link, be sure to only turn on the "allow duplicate as template" option, which will enable others to create their own version of your template without affecting the original.
Once you've created and shared your duplicate link, others can easily duplicate your template and make use of it in their own Notion workspace. This can be a great way to share your knowledge, collaborate with others, and streamline your workflow.
How to sell Notion templates?
If you want to earn money while selling Notion templates, you have to:
- Know your market and identify what templates are in demand.
- Create a high-quality template that meets the needs of your target audience.
- Make your template visually appealing and easy to use.
- Set a fair price that reflects the value of your template.
- Develop a marketing strategy to promote your template effectively.
- Offer excellent customer support to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Continuously improve and update your template based on customer feedback and market trends.
Despite how complex it may sound, selling Notion templates is actually quite straightforward. In fact, I'm sharing all my secrets on how to earn over $10,000 every month by selling Notion templates in my comprehensive course for Notion creators.
Notion Creator Course
Learn how to create and sell Notion templates to make additional income. The Notion Creator Course is a two-hour video course in which I share my framework of going from zero to over $150,000 in revenue without any paid ads.
Learn the entire process inside this course and start monetizing your knowledge with Notion.
Here's what you will find in this course:
- Exploring Notion. Learn about Notion, Notion templates, and how the whole logic works behind selling templates.
- Choosing template idea. Learn how to choose your profitable template idea that will be bulletproof to generate sales.
- Creating template. Learn how to create templates easily and quickly with a straightforward system.
- Preparing template for sale. Learn how to prepare your template for selling by converting mockups, visuals, copy, etc.
- Selling template. Learn how to sell Notion templates. Discover all ways and tactics to market and make sales.
How much can you make from Notion templates?
The amount of money you can make from selling Notion templates can vary greatly depending on various factors. These factors include the quality of your templates, the level of demand for your templates, and your marketing strategy.
Some creators have reported earning hundreds or even thousands of dollars per month from their Notion templates. However, the earnings potential can be even higher if you're able to create templates for in-demand niches or if you have a large audience that's interested in your products.
At this moment, I have earned over $80,000 from selling my Notion templates (August 2023 update: I have doubled the amount since the last update). As I write this guide, I am receiving notifications about someone else purchasing one of my products.
Can I make money selling Notion templates?
Certainly, you can make money by selling Notion templates. In fact, I'm sharing a blueprint that has personally generated $180,000 for me. This blueprint will guide you through the process of creating and successfully selling Notion templates, and it might motivate you to earn extra income by creating and selling your own Notion templates.
How do I sell a Notion template on Notion?
Here are the steps to sell a Notion template:
- Create a valuable and well-designed Notion template.
- Choose a platform to sell your template, such as a marketplace or your own website.
- Craft a compelling product listing with a clear title, description, and pricing.
- Provide a preview of the template's features through visuals or videos.
- Include comprehensive documentation on how to use and customize the template.
- Set up a secure payment processing system for transactions.
- Promote your template through social media, forums, and other relevant platforms.
- Be prepared to offer customer support for users who need assistance.
- Monitor sales and gather feedback to improve your template and marketing strategy.
- Regularly update your template based on user feedback and changing needs.